Thursday 3 January 2013

2013 is here!

Happy New Year!  May this year bring new and wonderful things to you all, but more importantly may it be a year that brings you even closer to Jesus!

As expected, I am REALLY excited about 2013!  Of course, the fast approaching placement of our little one is on my mind, but I am also aware that spending time away from work will be an interesting season in my life.  I am so excited about what God has in store for me in this year and I feel confident that He will be speaking to me throughout the year.  In fact, I know that He is always speaking to me but I am determined to make sure that I am listening this year!

The final preparations are now in full swing and each day, I become more and more aware that this is really happening! We have a long list of things to do and meetings to attend between now and the last week of January when we finally start introductions.

Many people have asked if we have met our little one and the answer is no - we will not get to meet until after panel during the introductions process.  Some people have asked what will happen if we don't like the child or are not comfortable with them - we know this can happen.  There have been cases where the adoption has broken down at the introductions stage and beyond.  This has been devastating for all parties involved, however, DH and I are aiming to approach this process with a particular mindest.  We know that it could all fall apart, as anything is possible, however, if we were physically pregnant, we would not be debating whether or not we would be keeping the child if their personality didn't match with ours!  In fact, if such a conversation was overheard, people would be horrified!  Why should our behaviour be any different with an adopted child?  Yes, we know that an adopted child may come with some additional issues but some of these issues could also develop in children we gave birth to naturally.  We seek to be as committed to this child as a couple giving birth to their natural child would be.

This week, we drove out of London to meet our little one's foster carer. As we sat in a coffee house waiting for this lady who we didn't know to arrive, we discussed what we wanted to know about our little one.  It's a strange concept that we were preparing a list of things we wanted to know about our child.  As the meeting time approached, I started to feel increasingly nervous about meeting the foster carer - would she like me?  What if she doesn't think we're good enough?  As we waited, the importance of our relationship with the foster carer became more apparent to me.  Introductions would be starting in her house.  We would be following the routine she had established for this child and at the moment, as far as our little one is concerned, this person is "mummy"!

The adoption process does cause you to be in some remarkable situations.  "I'm waiting to meet someone who is going to tell me what my child is like because I have no idea about their personality, likes or dislikes!"  What an odd statement!  When she arrived, we sat and talked for about half an hour.  We heard about our little one's routine, their preferences, how they communicate etc.  It was lovely to hear from someone who actually knows them - it made the report that we had read and the picture we had seen come to life!

As we headed back to London, the reality hit home!  The room has already been prepared and key purchases have already been made.  Yet, in spite of all of the baby related items that now fill our home, it wasn't until we sat down and talked about our little one that it finally started to sink in that I am going to be a mummy!

Next week, we will be meeting the doctor to discuss the medical background of our child and then the following week, we will be attending matching panel when it will all hopefully be finalised!


In the summer, I posted a blog about jumping hurdles and it's amazing that we are almost at the last hurdle!  God has been so faithful and I am confident that He has brought us this far and will continue to be with us as we keep running!

Have a blessed 2013!
Cece
xxx

1 comment:

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a comment! I read every single one and I really appreciate you sharing your thoughts with me!

Subscribe via email