Friday 22 May 2015

Ivy Preparatory School


In my previous post, I gave some background on how I ended up in Ghana last month.  I headed out to visit a school that opened last September in Ashiyie, near Adenta in Accra.

I had the privilege of spending a week in the school.  I observed lessons, wandered around the school and delivered a training session to the staff.

It was a refreshing time and to be honest, gave me great food for thought about the type of school I would like Babygirl to attend.

So let me introduce you to Ivy Preparatory School:

 

The buildings have been beautifully finished and provide a vibrant and welcoming environment as the children arrive.
The classrooms are bright and decorated to simulate learning.



By far the best assets of the school are the staff and students.  The students are genuinely interested in learning and the staff are committed to seeing each child progress.  I have taught in many schools and so far I would only consider sending my child to one of those schools.  That was until I saw Ivy Preparatory School, as I sat in the lessons and observed the work being done in this school, I seriously considered relocating so that Babygirl could become a pupil.

The school has not been open for a year yet but is already having a huge impact on individual children's lives.  A school with a Christian ethos - it carries the motto, "In Fide Scientiam" which is Latin  for "To our faith, add knowledge".


The school is truly a place where the children are encouraged for feel safe when learning and take risks to stretch and test their abilities.  

It was summed up beautifully by a Key Stage 1 student in one of the lessons I observed.  It was a Maths lesson and one of the students had been invited up to the front to solve a maths problem with an abacus.  He was struggling.  As the class waited, he scratched his head and tried to solve the problem.  Eventually, one of his classmates piped up, saying, "Come on, believe in your heart that you can do it!"  I couldn't help smile as I observed this young child cheer and encourage his classmate rather than belittle him.  As the young boy at the front conquered the challenge of the maths problem, the class applauded him and he returned to his seat with a smile.

I left that lesson with a smile too and thought, "Now that's what education is all about!"

Watch out for my upcoming interview with the principal and founder of Ivy Preparatory School.  In the meantime, you can check out their website.

Until next time, 
Cece xxx



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a comment! I read every single one and I really appreciate you sharing your thoughts with me!

Subscribe via email