Thursday 21 May 2015

Akwaaba - Cece in Ghana!

The month of April was very busy for me.  Not only did we go away as a family (see my previous post for more details) but I also headed off to Ghana for 7 days.

Before I share what happened on the trip, I should perhaps give a bit of background on how I ended up going to Ghana.

Three years ago, a friend of mine moved to Ghana with her husband and four children.  Last year, she told me via Whatsapp that she was going to start a school.  The moment I read the message - I got butterflies in my stomach.  I told her that I had to visit her in Ghana to see the school.  It was a passing comment and I wasn't totally convinced that I was actually going to do it.

Fast forward to February this year, when I visited a friend's church for a women's event.   The theme was "Stepping Out in Faith" and on the table there was a card for each woman with this picture:



During the time of worship, I began to talk to God about some of the things I wanted to do in my life.  He used the image above to speak very clearly and I knew that He was calling for me to step out in faith.  So I determined in my heart to go for the plans I had in my mind.  As the meeting progressed, God started to remind me of things that He had told me back in 2003, and He reminded about a school He had shown me. 

It was a school in a tropical setting and the building was yellow.  I remember it clearly because at the time, I remember thinking that we don't have yellow schools in England.  Then God said, "But haven't you seen a yellow school recently?"  Instantly I thought back to the pictures that my friend had sent me of the school she had opened in Ghana.

Ivy Preparatory
I instantly knew that I had to go to Ghana to see this school and one week later, I had booked my ticket.  

To be honest, I had no clue of what I was going to do when I got to the school, but there was one silent prayer I was regularly saying to God, "I don't want to live in Ghana".  I was afraid that God was taking me to Ghana to tell me that I was going to move there.

Now, let me explain that I have no problems at all with Ghana.  This visit was going to be my first time there and it was a country that I had always wanted to visit, but it had never been on my radar as a place to live.

On the drive to the airport and as I sat on the plane, I constantly found myself thinking, "What are you doing?!!".  This is not something that Cece does - books a flight and heads out to a country she has never been to because she feels that "God told her too!"

I landed on African soil after 6 hours in the air and asked God to take control and make it clear why I was in Ghana.

What followed was 7 days of self discovery, reawakening of dreams and a clear mission for the next stage of my life!

My trip flew by but I have been forever changed by the experience.  God used this trip to speak clearly into what He wants me to do next and I am so excited!!!  He even spoke clearly on the issue of infertility.
First day in Ghana

View from my room




I have come back from Ghana with a focus I have never experienced before in my life.  I am sure that the repercussions of this trip will become more evident over the next few months and years, and I will endeavour to share as much as possible in my blog posts.

In the meantime, I encourage you to step out when God speaks - you have no idea where it will take you but you can be guaranteed that it's going to be scary and amazing simultaneously!

And before I go, I can almost hear you shouting, "So, are you moving to Ghana?".  The answer is "No", but I will definitely be back!  Watch this space ;-)

Until next time,
Cece xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a comment! I read every single one and I really appreciate you sharing your thoughts with me!

Subscribe via email