Monday 3 June 2013

Update and choosing a nursery

 Happy Monday!  The sun is finally shining!  I love the summer.  I thought I would give you a brief update on Babygirl.

As I write she is sitting next to me in her highchair eating breakfast!  She is growing up so well!  When she arrived, she wasn't on solids and was a crawler.  Now she is on 3 solid meals a day as well as her snacks - she is also a fan of helping Mummy and Daddy with their meals too!  She is also now officially walking!  Our lives will never the same again!  It has been lovely watching her toddle around and she is becoming more independent by the day!  I officially have "proud mummy syndrome" (not sure that actually exists but I've seen several mums go through it!)
 
I am now embarking on the journey of choosing a nursery for Babygirl.  I thought I should start early as I know that many nurseries have waiting lists.  Now come the big questions:

  • What type of nursery am I looking for?
  • What would suit Babygirl and meet her needs?
  • How do I know that this is the right nursery for her?
 I attend a wonderful mother and toddler brunch each week and nurseries and education have been one of the key hot topics.  I am realising that my views on education and what is really important is changing.  I'll have to cover my thoughts properly in a future post but in the meantime, do you have any suggestions?  What are the key questions that I need to ask when choosing a nursery?  And what should I be looking for when I visit them?

Please put your answers/suggestions in the comments below!

Until next time,
Cece
xxx

4 comments:

  1. There has been a huge scandal regarding creches recently in Ireland. My advise is to go by word of mouth. Try to find one where staff retention is good and has cctv. If the staff seem happy and engaged then that is the one for you. I pay through the nose for creche but when the scandals came out I realised it was worth every penny and my kids are happy there. Good luck with the search. Alison

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would say check out the area first as the repetition of the area is important in terms of feedback from the local residents. Check OFSTED reports as the reports will give you more feedback on how well the nursery doing, finally get a feel of the place there's nothing wrong with observing staff in their role, how they relate to children , ask questions to put your mind at rest if you have any concerns and go online and look at the Early Learning Goals for nursery there are six areas of the early learning goals it is a mixture of work and play.

    The Early Years Framework has been 'revised' there are now seven early learning goals check out the link below

    https://www.gov.uk/early-years-foundation-stage

    If you want more info the link below will provide the information you need on nursery learning

    http://www.foundationyears.org.uk/early-years-foundation-stage-2012/

    Bless you x

    Ziena

    ReplyDelete
  3. I sincerely believe word of mouth is a very good. Unannounce visit to nurseries can be an eye opener as well. The waiting list at the moment is long but I believe waiting on the right one is important. Mylene

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for all the fantastic advice! Will keep you all updated as I explore the local nurseries!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a comment! I read every single one and I really appreciate you sharing your thoughts with me!

Subscribe via email