Monday 7 February 2011

Visit to the Clinic

Today DH and I went to a fertility clinic to attend an information evening. As I sat in the waiting room along with all the other couples I thought about the issue of faith.  There were about nine couples waiting there to hear all about the IVF process and why this particular clinic should be chosen and I realised that based on statistics only 3 of the couples would fall pregnant via IVF.  Not great odds really!  It was then that I realised even more so that the IVF process itself requires faith.  When first faced with the decision regarding IVF, I wondered whether I was showing a lack of faith by pursuing the IVF route instead of "trusting that God will do it".   Please don't misunderstand what I am saying!  I firmly believe that God is able to do it in spite of what the doctors have said BUT it requires faith to go down the IVF route too.  The doctors can do their best but even they admit that a large part of the process is waiting to see what will be.

So we went in and heard what the doctor had to say - she was honest (brutal at times) and made it clear that there was only so much that they can do and for some it would be down to "luck".  It's a scary prospect to pay all of that money, disrupt your hormonal cycle, run the risk of serious illness and possibly still leave with nothing!  Sometimes it's hard to understand why God has allowed this to happen for us but I know that whatever we go through that He is with us.

On a positive note, I really liked this clinic.  It felt right!   I can't explain it fully but I am realising that when you are choosing a clinic for this process, the way you feel about the clinic can have a huge effect.  I want to go to a clinic where I am confident that they are doing their best for me, understand how challenging the IVF process can be for us and provide the best possible facilities.

We visited another clinic a few months ago and the experience was very different.  The embryologist was amazing - his enthusiasm for his work was touching and I felt like I could trust him with "my babies"!  But the consultant was a different matter, she spoke about the IVF process with passion but when it came to basic customer service she was terrible.  It felt like a hard sell and a quick rush to get us to book an appointment.  I just couldn't trust that her recommendations would be what's best for me rather than what's best for her bank account!  I may be wrong but this is so much money and I believe that you need to feel at peace with the person who is going to carry out this procedure.  I wondered how she could get away with being like this but then I realised that in this industry you are dealing with people who are on the verge of desperation (if not already there) and will take any treatment.

So what's the next step?  We have to set aside money for the first consultation, get our medical notes from the hospital and I need to push harder on the weight loss front!

Looking forward to hearing your comments.
Cece

1 comment:

  1. It's so great to hear an honest account. Sometimes we only hear from people at the end of the battle but I heard a message by Joyce Meyer last year about sharing our testimony on the way to getting to our final destination. Some testimonies are progressive, others instant. It's great to see that you are sharing your JOURNEY with others - so that we can all celebrate the full fulfilment of it together. Be blessed sis and I know that God will bring you to the expected end. Amen.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a comment! I read every single one and I really appreciate you sharing your thoughts with me!

Subscribe via email