Monday 18 April 2011

Finding God's will

Over the weekend I hosted a ladies brunch which went well.  We had a good turnout and the general feedback was that it was really helpful.  In many ways, it was lovely to hear women talk candidly and sharing some of the deepest issues they have faced.  I know that many people left feeling encouraged and free to share their heart before God.

A particular issue that came up not only in the brunch but also in church the following Sunday was knowing God's will.  In the brunch we briefly discussed the need to know what God's will is on an issue before you start to pursue that thing.  This point has really resonated with me as I feel that this is the exact stage I am at.  Let me explain.....

Sometimes when we face a challenge or a desire that we have placed before God that we have not yet received, we start our prayer from the position of "Lord I want this.  What do I have to do to get it?  What have I done that is stopping me from receiving it?  Increase my faith in this area to believe that you can do it".  We may even spend time thanking God for what He is going to do for us BUT the question is "What is that assurance based on?"  Have we actually asked God what He wants for us in this area or are just assuming that because it is our desire that it's therefore our right to get it from God?  It is my belief that unless we know what God is saying to us on that issue then we have no ground to stand on at all!

I am now asking God to let me know what His word is on this issue of infertility for me and DH.  It is not enough that others can tell me what they are believing God for on my behalf.  I need to hear from God myself.  I cannot stand boldly and say that I will become pregnant until I have heard from God.  So this is what I am seeking - to know what God's will is.  I can also now say that because I am willing to accept God's will even if it means no children. You see if God tells me that I will have a child naturally then that shifts my position.  I have something to stand on and expect - even if the circumstances suggest that it is not possible, the fact that God said it settles the matter.  However, if God tells me "no" as much as I may be disappointed, my prayer can become "Lord give me grace and help me to see what You have planned instead".

When we face an issue, it is so easy to convince ourselves that we know what God's outcome is for us (usually in line with what we want) but I am now realising that our first question to ask God is "What are you saying about this?"

Therefore I urge you to find out what God is saying about your issue.  It may give you the word that you need to stand on or if may release you from struggling for something that is not part of God's plan for you.  Either way I believe that you will find peace in the process.

God bless,
Cece
xxx

2 comments:

  1. Dear Cece, through reading your journey I have develope an understand why you chose this title..... Even through your battle with infertility you have always found the time to encourge others who's face the same challenge and at the same time seek refuge, always put God in the midst and that in itself speak a grate volume of good faith in God. I have taken the opportunity to read Deuteronomy 23:5-6. As the song writer says' this battle its not yours its the Lords...... Stay stronge xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your comment. Deuteronomy 23:5-6 is a beautiful scripture and has encouraged me!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a comment! I read every single one and I really appreciate you sharing your thoughts with me!

Subscribe via email