Thursday 1 August 2013

Thoughtful Thursday: What have you been thinking?


So here we are with another Thoughtful Thursday!  I have recently settled down to read Joyce Meyer's "Battlefield of the Mind" and after reading the first few chapters, I've been wondering why I left it so long.  It has been sitting on my shelf for years and after being advised by many that it is a worthwhile read, I decided to jump in.

Wow!  What an amazing book!  I've only got to chapter 8 and already, I have scriptures to meditate on and it has caused me to really start evaluating the way I think.

What have you been thinking recently?
Proverbs 23:7 says " For as he thinks in his heart, so is he".  In other words, what you think about yourself, what you think about situations in your life will have a direct effect on the outcome.

It is so common in our world to be filled with negative thoughts and negative attitudes but is this how our "thought life" should be as Christians?  I am not suggesting that we pretend that the challenging issues in our lives don't exist but I am saying that the attitude and way we think about them can profoundly change how we feel about them and how we tackle them.

As I continue to walk with God and learn more about Him,  I am realising that my life situations have not changed much, but what has changed is the way I see them, think about them and approach them.


Change the way you think!
So today, make a choice to think about things differently!

Instead of focussing on what you don't have, focus on what you do have.

Instead of declaring that your challenges will beat you, declare that you are able to do all things through Christ who strengthens you!

I am not saying that we should all just have "happy thoughts" and everything will be OK!  But I am saying that by allowing God to renew our mind, we will be able to tackle challenges with God and ultimately be forever transformed!
 
Do not be conformed to this world (this age), [fashioned after and adapted to its external, superficial customs], but be transformed (changed) by the [entire] renewal of your mind [by its new ideals and its new attitude], so that you may prove [for yourselves] what is the good and acceptable and perfect will of God, even the thing which is good and acceptable and perfect [in His sight for you] (Romans 12:2)

We change the way we think by using God's word to renew our minds - to renew the way we see things and how we think.

In doing so:
we are forever changed and
we discover God's perfect will for our lives!

I'll leave you with the wise words of Paul from Philippians:

For the rest, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is worthy of reverence and is honorable and seemly, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely and lovable, whatever is kind and winsome and gracious, if there is any virtue and excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think on and weigh and take account of these things [fix your minds on them]. (Phil. 4:8)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a comment! I read every single one and I really appreciate you sharing your thoughts with me!

Subscribe via email