Tuesday 4 February 2014

January Delights #2: Office Lifestyle

From my previous posts, you will know that I have recently started a new job.  This has been a massive change as for the first time in my life I am based in an office.  Plus, it's not just an office but a new set of offices which the local authority only moved into at the end of last year.  Everything is new and shiny! I am now based in a beautiful glass building which I quite like!  But I didn't come here to talk about the architecture of my workplace but rather talk about the new lifestyle.

A new word in my vocabulary is autonomy.  I've heard it before but I am now realising that it's not something I've experienced in my worklife previously.  Being a teacher means that your worklife is highly prescriptive - you are told when to start work, what to teach, how to teach, how to mark, how to plan - there are templates and guidelines for everything!  And whilst, I know that everywhere has rules and regulations, it has been a breath of fresh air to have more control over how I work and how I organise my time.

It is still a novelty for me to spend most of my day interacting with adults, and I have enjoyed not lugging home exercise books to mark. 

Hot desking is the buzz word in my office at the moment - no one has an allocated desk.  You have an allocated zone but not a desk - how trendy! I do giggle however, when I see people set up on the same desk everyday and get upset when someone else gets there before them!  Reminds of the politics of chairs in the staff room at school!  We're all children at heart and resistant to change!

So my second delight for January is office life - I must confess that I'm loving it!  I'll give more detail in my upcoming post on my new job.

Do you work in an office?  Do you love it or hate it?  Let me know in the comments below and subscribe to receive my 3rd January delight tomorrow!

Until next time,
Cece
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a comment! I read every single one and I really appreciate you sharing your thoughts with me!

Subscribe via email