Monday 22 January 2018

Lessons learned from 2017

Happy 2018!

Before I wrote this blog post, I read my last post which was about a year ago and I couldn't help chuckle to myself.  I predicted that 2017 was going to be a stormy year but I still walked into it rather unprepared.

On the 31st December 2017, I found myself looking back at 2017 with a sense of great disappointment and big questions about 2018.

The personal storms that hit me in 2017 caught me off guard and left me in a head spin!  It was an emotional year for me and I must admit that by the end of it all, I found myself asking, "What's the point?"

I am pleased to say that over the last few weeks I have moved considerably from that position in my mental state.  I realised that if I didn't focus on learning the lessons I needed to from my 2017 experience, I would end up repeating the same mistakes again.

So these are my top 3 lessons from 2017:

1.  Don't neglect your quiet time with God - towards the end of 2016, I found my stride with spending time with God and it was awesome!!! It transformed my life considerably and brought such clarity in my decisions.  Early in 2017, I lost that regularity and it had a significant impact on my year.  I have always known the importance of regular time with God but having got into a rhythm in 2016 and then losing it, I have learnt a greater appreciation for this time.  It really does make all the difference!
2.  Dare to be different - 2017 was the year we started to home educate "Babygirl".  It was not something we had planned to do and there are definitely times when I wonder if we've made the right decision, because it isn't easy but when I see the progress she is making I feel convinced that it is working for her.  If you would like more information about how we ended up being home educators, let me know in the comments and I will do a post.
3.  Learn how to deal with disappointment - I had hoped to launch a major project in 2017 but it didn't happen and I was quite frankly devastated.  All my decisions in 2017 were based on fulfilling this project, and as the end of the year approached, I realised that I was going to have to make alternative plans.  As we start 2018, I am still reeling a little bit from the experience but I am learning how to get on with life and continue to find purpose where I am, in spite of my disappointment!

So those were my lessons from 2017 - what did you learn in 2017?

Until next time,
Cece

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a comment! I read every single one and I really appreciate you sharing your thoughts with me!

Subscribe via email